G.P. Remkes started a small business in small livestock and poultry in Epe in 1928. Within a few years, chickens were being manually slaughtered on a small scale.
In 1960 the company moved to its current location on Kweekweg in Epe and built a slaughterhouse with a slaughter line. The company’s management was assumed by sons Chris and Jan.
Bart Remkes, the current owner/director, started working at the company. The facility was renovated in 1988 to modernize the slaughter line and refrigeration and freezer facilities. At that time, the decision was made to further specialize in butchering breeder hens. The greater mechanization of the process boosted production capacity.
With another renovation in 1995, the entire company was brought into compliance with new regulations. This is when the filleting operations were added to the evisceration and cutting lines. The addition of cooling tunnels meant that capacity could be ramped up. Bart Remkes, a third-generation member of this family-run business, assumed leadership of the company.
In 2013 the company underwent expansion, undertaking all conceivable engineering upgrades that could contribute to quality. One major element was to fully separate the production processes in keeping with modern regulations. Operations were further expanded with a production kitchen, where various pre-cooked chicken products are prepared. The staff facilities were also considerably improved, including the addition of a modern on-site gym.